18 June 2013

Hangi at School

On Monday at school there was a Hangi and guess what, Brightwater School got to see it! There was meat, potatoes, cabbage, kumera, pumpkin, chicken, lamb, pork and the last one, carrots.
Four men woke up at four o'clock and one of them was Mr Hikuroa. It took four hours to cook all the food for the whole school and the whole Kindergarten.
The steam was rising up in the sky from the sacks and they were covered in dirt. The men lit up some metal and then put it in the fire and let it burn. Mr H put the food in the baskets and then put it in  a big hole called a pit. Then he covered it all up again but Mr H and his friends didn't dig out the big pit, Nico and Luca's Dad has a digger and he dug the pit out.

Finally it was time to eat. I got my plate from Mr Dobbie and I moved up the line because it was my turn to get the food. When I had my food I went to sit down on the concrete. I tasted the food immediately. I thought it tasted delicious. I loved it!                                                 by Jaymee

No comments:

Post a Comment